We at the KCDP hope that you are enjoying the festive holiday season and want to wish you and yours a very Democratic 2020! Our 2019 was a busy year! Non-election “off” years are typically slower than election years, but with so much on the line in 2020, we couldn’t afford to lose the forward momentum of 2018. Thanks to your support, we haven’t. We’re going into next year’s critical elections with significant financial reserves and a team of dedicated volunteers ready to work to elect Democrats up and down the ticket. Here’s what we’ve been up to: Membership
- Doubled our membership from less than 150 in January to 319 today
- Grew our County Committee to close to 100 voting members
- Monthly membership increased from eight at the beginning of the year to 43 now
- Got new member cards (sign up now to get yours!)
- Join the KCDP here
- Learn how to become a voting County Committee member here
- Hired a Development Director for the first time ever
- Crushed our fundraising goals by raising more than $112,000, which is more than any previous year (including election years!)
- Held five house parties, raising a total of $8,325
- July’s Sunday Fund Day event at the Old Dog Tavern had 60+ attendees and raised $5k
- October’s Brown Todd Wolpe Award Ceremony and Fundraiser had 200+ attendees and raised nearly $30k (our goal was $25k)
- Raised $6k from monthly recurring donors (We can count on $550/mo from these dedicated folks… Join the team!)
- Gained 150+ new donors
- Expanded and cleaned up our donor database
- Doubled our number of prospective donors
- It’s not too late to make a year-end contribution today!
- Launched an informative, fun, news- and event-packed e-newsletter!
- Facebook “likes” passed the 3,000 mark! (make sure you like us, too!)
- Email list grew to 2500+ address on our list – and it’s still growing (have your friends sign up here!)
- Our website is getting good traction, especially around the November election
- Our dedicated Mail Team sent out 6,000 fundraising letters
- Volunteer list grew to more than 450
- Ordered new KCDP T-shirts to increase our visibility in the community
- Subleased the office to SWMI Health Matters, generating $10,000 in income
- Moved back into the office on December 1st
- Join us for the grand office re-opening on January 8th!
- Recruited strong, committed candidates to run robust campaigns for local positions
- Provided support and training to local Democratic candidates
- Memorial Day Parade
- Doo Dah Parade
- Kalamazoo Pride
- Fourth of July Parade
- Black Arts Festival
- Holiday Parade
We are going into 2020 with a well-stocked war chest: close to $50,000 in the bank. Our goal was $35k.
We have been planning for next year for months — we’re going to hire field staff and campaign coordinators, continue to raise more money, and grow our membership base (especially monthly donors!). We will keep recruiting strong, committed candidates local positions. We’ll also dive in deep to engage voters: register new voters, identify Democrats, help folks place themselves on permanent absentee voter rolls, introduce voters to our candidates, and, most importantly, get people out to vote. Your contributions will help support candidates, maintain our office, hire staff, and pay for essential communication with members and voters. We can’t do this work without you!
Our monthly meetings are every Third Thursday of the month at the Traveler’s Cafe and Pub on Portage Rd. There is a speaker or presentation from 5:30 pm until 6:30 pm followed by the business meeting that typically goes until 7:30 or 8 pm. Everyone is welcome and we encourage you to attend. Our January 23rd meeting will include election of the Chair, Vice Chair, and Treasurer. Please join us!
2020 is around the corner. Thanks for being part of our team.
Wishing you a very blue new year,
– Margy and the rest of the KCDP
Margy Belchak, Development Director
Kalamazoo County Democratic Party
P.S. Year-end donations are gratefully welcomed. It’s go time, Democrats! And, thanks.Kalamazoo County Democratic Party
P.O. Box 2466
Kalamazoo MI 49003 United States