KCDP Endorsement for the 2019 Kalamazoo Mayoral Election
Our Endorsed Candidate is:
As a Kalamazoo City Commissioner, David Anderson has taken the lead in collaborative efforts to address critical and complicated issues. For example, David:
- Chaired the City Commission subcommittee that invited community members to discuss and shape Kalamazoo’s Anti-Discrimination Ordinance.
- Worked with the City’s Environmental Concerns Committee, the County, the City of Portage, WMU, Kalamazoo College, and KVCC to develop a policy around life-cycle costing – a waste-not, want-not approach to conserving energy and saving public resources. As a result, the City of Kalamazoo has a Sustainability Policy in place.
- Helped craft the City Commission’s Ethics Code as part of a three-commissioner policy panel.
- Took on the Chairmanship of the Freedom of Information Act Subcommittee and worked to craft recommendations for City protocols and practices to make certain citizen-city interactions would be more fair, transparent, and respectful.
- Worked with downtown retailers to develop the language adopted for the City’s park use and panhandling ordinance.
- Applied his experience on housing issues to tackle local challenges. His leadership during his first term in office resulted in a collaboration between the City and County to create the Local Housing Assistance Fund – an effort that leveraged a half-million dollars of additional, valued-added resources from MSHDA to address local homelessness.